Saturday, November 26, 2011

Magdalena - Bit of work?

Ok so last Wednesday Hilmar asked me was I interested in going doing a bit of work with his brother and a few lads who were starting to build a house for a family in Magdalena. You expect the men over here to be animals for work. Animals and the rest..... Basicaly we arrived on site about 8 o clock. Set out the foot print of the foundations and then levels. All using a hose pipe, a square, some fishing line, and the 3/4/5 rule. Right job none of your fancy total stations here. This was the calm before the storm.
The building is about 9 metres by 7 metres with 23 metres of internal walls. 55 l/m in total of foundations about 450 wide and approx 700mm deep. I here you ask "bring out the digger" in response "we were the diggers". 2 shovels, 2 picks and away we went. In fairness I had to keep up for prides sake and ye couldnt have them thinkin that Irish were soft but my God am I in bits after it. Say a few people who have worked with me reading this now doin some laughing. My spanish teacher asked me the next day was I used to that kind of work. So I told her honestly normally im the lad standing there giving moral support and looking important : ) Nowhere to hide now from Monday though. To be fair I enjoyed every bit of it was great exercise and the boys were good craic. They were handy out at the setting out too. Builders over here know how to do everything from foundations to putting the roof on. I know its a good bit more basic but i checked the lines for square for curiosities sake and they were bang on. 



Currently home of the family we were digging the foundations for new house. 5 kids and parents.






RFI anybody? Go on with yourself now.... (Say Mullett would love these get a weeks work out of it)



The 3 boys I was working with. Johnny on left, its gonna be his house. Thats Hilmars brother dennis in middle. Few photos of me to follow with a wet t shirt wrapped round me head dont worry be here soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment