Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Hilmar and his work in Santa Lucia - Part Two


If you read the first blog on Hilmar... you will see I mentioned a young couple with a sick 2 month old baby. Hilmar told me today that the baby died last night. Have to say it really got at me as I was holding the baby this time last week and I cant help thinking it was preventable.
When I think about it, yes it is expected that babies could die in Guatemala but I dont think it makes it any easier on the parents. Just because people have no money doesnt mean that there hearts are broken any less than say a person in Ireland. One aspect is probably worse in fact. In Ireland any normal parent would sell everything they own and get a lend of as much money as was needed to pay for there 2 month olds health. This simply wasn't an option.
I went to the house with Hilmar to drop off some food and it was the exact same as a wake in Ireland would be it just happened to be in a Galvinised shack on the side of a hill. All neighbours and family sitting around talking trying to console as much as they could.
If possible I will try to end on a poitive note. I was talking to Hilmar afterwards and basically asking him how he copes with it all. Really what I got from him was that he realises that he is never going to change everything but he keeps trying nonetheless because sometimes the work he does makes a difference and thats worth it.



Going digging a foundation by hand with him tomorrow. Say I wont have many welts tomorrow night though....

No comments:

Post a Comment