Saturday, December 10, 2011

Randomness Month 1 / Antigua and around

I was going to do a seperate blog for travels but I am going to put it here now. I am not ashamed to say I normally have blow out at the weekends, but anybody who knows me knows ive been this way since i was about 15. To be honest I need it a bit more than usual now, ying all week but a bit of yang at the weekends is needed to keep me sane. I think too much normally and I wreck my own head of about a Thursday every week but when im drinking or doing something I take a break. Im not justifying having a good time to anybody dont get me wrong and i dont feel guilty in the slightest but im just explaining why I am how I am. Anyway I am gonna do a monthly post of randomness and photos. This one is from Santa Tomas and around Antigua......




This is a large prosession for the 1st of November, the day of the dead in Antigua. It was about the size of a truck trailer and was carried around the city and the shoulders of men in black suits. The shrine in the middle is from on of the churches and is a life size staue of jesus in gold.


This is a Barrillette, (massive kite). Every year for the day of the dead they apparently fly the kites to scare off bad spirits with the noise they make but also to send messages to the dead in the forms of notes tied along the main rope. This is also part of the day of the dead celebrations. That something actually it really is a celebration of the dead peoples lives rather than anything solemn or sad. This is Denise the only other student at Inlex while I was there so by default my best friend for the Month. Lucky she is cool anyway.







check out this link on youtube and forward to about 2 minutes and 40 seconds. Made the news and wasnt in the country a week. well top of my head did anyway.



This is the Cerro de la Cruz. It overlooks the city of Antigua and is on the way to el Hato and Earthlodge






this is the Town of El Hato, up in the Hills above Antigua and where Earthlodge is located. Earthlodge is eco hostel with great food and cheap beer. I decided to walk here took me about 1 and a half hours, all up hill. Had to buy a new t shirt when I got there. Was all happy with myself and then when I was getting a lift back down seen Guatemalan guys running up it. Was devastated ha ha


                                           This is Earthlodge
this is the view of the sunset over Volcan Agua. Was pretty cool, changed every second. Best view around Antigua. Best view in Antigua is Sky bar in case your interested.




This was the first part of my school tour would you believe. This is a totally organic macadamia farm outside Antigua. Getting ready for an oul free head massage with macadamia oil. Tough life.


they use the macadamia nut to make chocolates and buety products. The shells they use as road chippings, suprise suprise I was more interested in that.

the second part of the trip was a trip to Saint Peters church. O yea I have to tell you, we were meant to go to a coffee plantation but we missed the bus because myself and Denise went wandering for sweets and bus went without us. I decided that it wasnt a school tour without sweets and Guatemalan buses never left on time. We strolled back with mouthful of chocolate to see our two teachers standing on the street with no bus. ha ha.

Bit of the architmatecture from St Peters


Whose a happy camper. Had to but a new pair of shoes because the soles were worn off my own after chasin round Antigua after the lovely Klara. Wonder does Sweden need a new volunteer.... Had some craic in Reilly's the Irish bar, no se bar and with everybody  I met at the Jungle Party hostel.. Special room in No Se bar that your only alowed into if you drink at least two double shots of Tequila. Yes i was......


This is me climbing Volcan Pacaya. An active volcanoe about an hour from Antigua not too far from Guate city. Had a bit of a head on me so struggled a bit but really wasn.t much of a climb. Bout an hour and a half. For about half the walk up ye have people tryin to offer you a lift on the back of a donkey. Was tempted but battled through........


this is a blow hole you can get into its like a sauna. pretty nice too especially compared to cold up here....


this is our guide roasting marshmallows from a blow hole. We didnt actually go to the top. I was raging to be honest. I asked him could we climb the last bit and he said no because we didnt have time on this tour but I could come back tomorrow and pay extra. This is Guatemala .. 
  


2 comments:

  1. What is it with ALL the climbing Bro ??? ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wouldn't walk down the pecker hill haha
    Sprock

    ReplyDelete